Thursday, October 22, 2009

Falling Seeds

This time of year, all the trees in our backyard start to shed their leaves. It's been amazing to watch this week, as the leaves are literally "falling" from the trees like snowflakes. Our yard is covered with them, and the wind blows them around. Grace and I watched from the window this morning and I saw the wonder in her eyes. And, I found a sense of joy again, through her, in my own heart.

Thanks to Yoga and Meditation practice, I have an awareness of these ordinary miracles again. There were so many years of my life, so many Fall seasons, that I missed this. Most likely I was caught up in the ideas and issues on my mind. I don't know exactly where I was, but it was not in the moment, where the trees were breathing down their leaves. Somewhere else. Somewhere...

This year, there is that renewed sense of wonder, because I am sharing this with Grace. I thought about how the leaves that fall hold the seeds for the future trees and life forms to grow. I see the falling not only as the letting go of what was once alive on the branches, but as the pathway to a new life that will emerge in due time. Last year, I was starting the get heavy with Grace in my belly. This year, she is here in my arms. This year, we blow the leaves from the patio, and soon there will be more lush branches for us to admire (and, for Grace to climb on too).

The blueprint for life is written in the letting go. I want to remember that today. I often try too hard to hold on and try to make things happen. But, as Grace has been showing me, it is already happening. In just six months she has learned so much. She is sitting, rolling, babbling, and eating. She is expressing her own personality and nature, and showing us love through her body, and in the light in her eyes. The blueprint for all of her accomplishments was already written inside of her. For the most part, we have let her find her way (with some encouragement of course), and it's happening! She gets down on the floor and starts rolling and swimming and laughing.....it's so cool.

Perhaps the truth of life is written in the letting go....letting go of trying, like trying to control perhaps, how Grace is growing and evolving. Letting her go from my body. At first through labor and delivery, and now every day. I release her again and again to find her way in her body and in the world. Letting go of fears and worries, and expectations for the future, and just being here now. Maybe if I look even further.... there's an even deeper letting go here....of my Father as well, who passed away just a month before Grace was born. Through the pain and joy, so side by side, perhaps there is a lesson here in letting LIFE go (and, therefore death as well). I miss him everyday, but he is here in the light in her eyes.

My teacher, Erich Schiffman, said that "LOVE is what is left when you let go of everything you don't need". Our practice teaches us that we don't need most of what we are holding so tightly on to. It teaches us tools to let go on ever level - physically, mentally, spiritually. It asks us to have faith in the falling leaves. It is so hard and sometimes deeply painful to let go. And, sometimes we get lost and forget the wisdom that our heart knows. Thankfully, we need only to open the curtains and look out the window, or look into the eyes of a child or a friend, to be reminded.

NAMASTE,

Karin

PS This post is dedicated to Margaret "Peggy" McCoy

4 comments:

  1. Karin, what you said is so beautiful - and so true. Letting go is hard and it's what we have to do. I too always seem to want to control and hold on! But, as a colleague of mine always says, "It's all about the love."

    Two weeks ago I was sitting with another colleague in a beautiful little park near our school. The trees had not yet really turned, and the wind was making them rustle. I looked up at them and was reminded of the moment many years ago when I sat on the same bench with one of my sons. He was a few months old and we noticed him staring intently at the moving leaves. It was, indeed, as you describe, an amazing moment. For a brief second I was re-seeing this miracle of nature for the first time myself.

    Children bring us so much intense joy and wonder that we want to hold them to us always, savoring what they give us. And yet they cannot transform into who they are meant to be if we don't let go - and we wouldn't want them not to be able to do that. There is always a certain nostalgia, though. Every newborn, every cute little toddler I see, causes a little bit of yearning in me for the days of my children's babyhood. And I tell everyone I know who has a baby, "Savor every moment - even the hard ones. It all goes by so fast!"

    Love, Miriam

    P.S. Jeff and I love the picture of you and Grace both in badha konasana! Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, karin. your words filled my heart and reminded me to just be for a few moments. with only a few moments of letting go, i am lighter and full of love :)

    what a gift that you are able to recognize your father in the light of grace's eyes. he is part of that twinkle inside of her...and that twinkle inside of you.

    i will often look at the palms of my hands and fill with gratitude, as this is where i recognize my mom. here, i am part of her…and her a part of me. here, especially, i am able to take refuge in not only the overwhelming love and appreciation i have for her, but also the love she felt for me.

    the photo of you and your little yogi is beautiful!! may you always be open to what your little yogi has to teach you :)

    love,
    sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...thank you so much for those beautiful comments. So inspiring. I LOVE this blog!

    ReplyDelete